Welcome!!!

Welcome to the Cheyenne County Art guild blog page. The CCAG has been promoting art and artists for over 40 years. We hope this blog will not only provide information, but be a center for discussion and idea sharing.

Stop back often - see what's new in the world of art in the panhandle of Nebraska and beyond.

Special Note: Please do not steal. All artwork on this blog is copyrighted and is the exclusive property of the artist. If you see something you like and would like to contact the artist, email Sheila Phelps blog-manager: sheilaphelps59@gmail.com

Monday, August 11, 2014

"Art-Mileage"

It's August already...What's your total "art-mileage" so far this Summer?

My summer is just flying by and before it vaporizes all together I'm going to take this opportunity to stop a few moments, literally...my grandboys are content and playing this moment...and think about what my intentions were for painting this summer.  What were yours?  

We traveled to the mountains for our yearly family time the first of August and I did get the opportunity to paint one morning at Sprague Lake in Rocky Mountain National Park (RMNP) near Estes Park, CO for a couple of hours--thanks to an exploring son and reading husband!  Of course, it was beautiful, but having just one morning there felt like I had a ticking count-down clock right behind me.  I could just feel the apprehension building to the point when I would be jolted back to reality by that alarming bell and have to call it a day!  Do we ever get enough time to paint?  Never, I would say!

So the next logical question is how do I make more time for painting?  I have tried various ideas in answering this question throughout my life...some have worked better than others depending on my circumstances.  First, I never leave home without my "art bag."  Depending on where I'm going, the contents vary from a the simple art book or magazine of what I am currently reading, notebook and pen, to a mini-sized watercolor painting setup.  With this art bag, I have traveled to hundreds of baseball games (three boys explains it all), taken a few airplane rides, waited for a few appointments or people or rain delays, even driven a harvest grain cart, etc. all very contentedly with my art bag.  This art bag definitely does not make up for a few hours in RMNP, but looking back at all those "waiting" minutes, they have added up and have taken me further down the "art-mileage road" than without it.  So maybe, I'm doing OK...getting where I want to go.  What ideas have worked for you?  

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the great post Nancy. It's interesting when you think about the amount of time spent waiting. Having a sketch book along is a good way to fill time. I'll have to put a sketch book in my knitting bag.
    My favorite time to paint is very early in the morning before any one else is up. There are fewer distractions. A great way to start the day.

    ReplyDelete