Welcome!!!

Welcome to the Cheyenne County Art guild blog page. The CCAG has been promoting art and artists for over 40 years. We hope this blog will not only provide information, but be a center for discussion and idea sharing.

Stop back often - see what's new in the world of art in the panhandle of Nebraska and beyond.

Special Note: Please do not steal. All artwork on this blog is copyrighted and is the exclusive property of the artist. If you see something you like and would like to contact the artist, email Sheila Phelps blog-manager: sheilaphelps59@gmail.com

Saturday, September 6, 2014

One of the Advantages of Taking a Workshop...

Yes, this is a little delayed getting posted because…I attended a workshop in New Mexico August through September 1st.  Looking forward to that upcoming workshop is great, isn't it?  You have great hopes and anticipations based on all the information you've collected about the workshop.  That's where I was a couple of weeks ago. 

We packed up the fifth wheel and then it was off to the workshop with my traveling companions, my husband, and Molly--our black lab mix.  As we traveled to our destination near Ghost Ranch, the landscape views gradually sharpened my awareness.  The landscape dramatically changed and my interest and camera were on overload!  After a week of living in that landscape and viewing it from morning to sunset, I realize how refreshing and renewing an influence it had on my artistic-side.  These hills and rivers and sage and colors west of Abiquiu were spectacular and so inspiring.  I found myself reflecting on how fortunate it is to be able to travel just a few hours from home and be in such a different landscape in which to renew my inspiration as a painter?  Workshop or no workshop, that was wonderful! 
Now, saying that, plein air painting in a new location, as all new learning can be at times, was frustrating.  I came home with not as many “good paintings” as I thought I should!  (Plein air painting in Abiquiu is up for another whole writing segment…much later!  Ha!)

It was definitely obvious that we were in “O’Keeffe Country.”  Out the front door of the RV was the magnificent black mountain “Pedernal”…O’Keeffe’s favorite mountain and reportedly where her ashes were spread.  I’m not really a big O’Keeffe fan, but the choices she made in her life intrigue me.  She chose to paint where she lived and what she knew.  It wasn’t an easy life; she didn’t have all of the conveniences of those living in metro areas at that time.  She couldn’t get fresh food; by the time food was brought to her house at Ghost Ranch, it was already starting to spoil.  Eventually, she bought property in Abiquiu with water rights and grew her own gardens; all so she could paint her beloved “melting mountains” and her collections of bones found in the area.  To me this just reemphasized my fondness for where I live--the farming landscape, my connection as the fourth generation to those who have gone before and my love of the sky and light in NE Colorado.  I can really relate to the choices O’Keeffe made.

These choices I call…tradeoffs—you give up some things to gain others!  So just look where you live with fresh eyes…one day a clerk in Denver mistook where I was from thinking it was in the mountains and said “Oh that’s such a beautiful drive!”  I replied, I completely agree with you; but my guess is we are not talking about the same location!  You just have to look with “new eyes” to be able to see!

I hope this Fall you get a chance to get away to an different view in order to appreciate what you have right in front of you the rest of the year!

It’s all about “Brush Mileage”….Nancy

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the post Nancy. I've never tried plein aire painting. It's something I would definitely like to try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found it very interesting that there was a feature article in our 5th grade reading program about “O’Keeffe. My question is - What makes an artist or author so great as to be part of our school curriculum? Who is in charge of the list of great artists of the time? Who really decides what is a good/great piece of art that will be on the collector's list??? let alone on the lips of thousands of children reading about them........................

    ReplyDelete